Friday, June 14, 2013

Serving Others ... Not An Option to Say No!!!

On any given day, there are approximately FIFTEEN THOUSAND
homeless men, women, teenagers, and children  just in Columbus, Ohio alone!



My Christian background is filled with my serving the Lord in varying capacities. Youth Pastor at a small Baptist Church. Director of Youth Ministries for the local Baptist Association of churches. Fellowship of Christian Athletes volunteer. Youth for Christ volunteer. Athletes in Action Volunteer. One theme that surrounds most of these ministries have to do with young people and/or sports. I love Jesus first. I also love sports. But I resigned from youth ministry because in my heart, I felt like I did not have the love for youth that was required to be fully effective for God. I do not regret that decision ... for God had other plans for me in my life.

"Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. Later that night, he was there alone, and the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it. Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear. But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.” “Come,” he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said,“why did you doubt?” And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.” ... Matthew 14:22-33


When I allowed Jeremy to come into my life, it was crystal clear from God. He was going through a rough time in his life. I had been blessed in my past, and it was time for me to pay it forward! No brainer. But taking it a step forward and devoting a lot of time to the homeless population of Columbus, Ohio, was terrifying. No God, I don't think this is for me! Can't be! It scares me! Perhaps, I have never been like Peter above, and asked Jesus, "Tell me to come to you on the water!" Perhaps I was trying to walk on the water without His guidance!

Over the past year, I've had a heavy burden on my heart to help start and be involved with a Christian Men's Ministry. Because of the vast amount of time spent in prayer on this matter, I know this desire is not my own, but from God. Reviving a "Promise Keepers" type of ministry, where men could join together, worship, be energized, and renew their commitments to be Godly men of Faith! And a big part of being a Godly man is serving others.

So what others are we to serve? Honestly, I think God gives us free will to choose. The list of needs is long. But what is important is that we all serve Him by sharing His love with others! Sometimes, He is specific. I pray daily for my friend Barrett Todd, and his family, as God has made it perfectly clear to them that He wants them in Haiti serving. The Todd Family couldn't say no ... it was not an option for them. They love Jesus and have committed to following Him, no matter what God asks of them.

Over the past year, I have visited three separate tent cities in Columbus, Ohio that are filled with homeless people. Multiple times.  On any given day, there are approximately 15,000 homeless people living just in the city limits of Columbus!  FIFTEEN THOUSAND!!!  I have learned so much from them. For instance, Faygo tends to be their soft drink of choice! Visit a tent city and offer a can of Faygo (no matter the flavor ... just not Mist!) You will surely see a smile on the person's face that may be the only smile they share all day!

I've got splinters on my rear from sitting on many logs, as some of these people have been eager to share their stories of how they got to this point in their life. Others are very distant and quiet, not trusting anyone. I can understand that as well. But at the very least, I'll offer them a smile, or a handshake ... sometimes, the smallest of gifts are the most valuable!

Christians ... and churches ... we must ALL pray for repentance ... that we have not been doing more of what we should be doing.

James 2:14-17 states: "What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead."

Whenever this men's ministry gets rolling, one very important part of the ministry will be serving others! Putting on jeans and boots, and climbing the muddy trails of some of these homeless tent cities would be a great start. Not to go in to preach, for many of their hearts are hardened. But to go in and just SHOW Christ's love by loving them! Some people reading this love to camp. Imagine this ... you go on a camping trip, and the camping last for a year. After the first week, you are out of food and out of clean clothes. Imagine how you would feel if a total stranger comes up and hands you a sandwich. Or a clean pair of socks!  You would be thrilled!  You would be thankful!  You would praise God above!

Last December, Pastor Ken preached a series entitled "Socks and underwear: not what you want, but what you need" ... trust me, the homeless both need them AND want them!

Last night, I was at an outreach prayer meeting where I heard a woman share the following story. She loves going to garage sales. Anyone who has ever been involved with a garage sale know that we never sell everything. Many times the leftovers are given to Goodwill or another charitable cause. Many times, the leftovers wind up in the landfill instead. Whenever this woman goes to a garage sale, she makes her purchases, then hands the person a list of local charities that will accept their leftovers. She even offers to go back and help them load it up and take it to the charities!


If you live in Columbus, Ohio, please email Karen Sexton.  Karen would love to share with you many different opportunities in the Columbus area that need volunteers.  Many homeless shelters need people to share not only a meal, but a smile as well!  There are women's shelters which need volunteers.  She would love to share with you the statistics of women and children trafficking that take place, yes, even here in Columbus.  It's not just in third world countries, it's happening everywhere.  We MUST get out and get involved.  What will you say when you get to Heaven and God asks you, "Why didn't you?"

... Lord, please forgive us for not getting out of our comfort zones and doing more to serve You! Please open our eyes and hearts, and show us where you would have each of us serve you! Please remove any fears we may have of the unknown when it comes to homeless people. Please teach us all to love others as You have loved us! In Jesus' name, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment