Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Friendship and Accountability

Mark Beavers (left), Chris Harto (right)
Best Man and Groom, just before Chris's wedding, in front of The Ohio State Horseshoe


Over and over in Scripture, the Word talks about just how important relationships are in our lives. I am not talking about sexual relationships here, but friendships.

"This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you." ... John 15:12-15

"Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor." ... Romans 12:10

This past week, the subject of friendship and accountability has been brought up numerous times in my life, believing God is telling me that this subject is important, and for me to listen up. It began with a sermon this weekend at Cypress Wesleyan Church, where I have been attending the past several weeks. And now, the subject is coming up over and over in a book I'm now reading called, "Just Like Jesus" by Max Lucado.

Actually, in hindsight, I might say that I have been burdened with the subject for more than several weeks now. As soon as I first started attending Cypress, one of the very first opportunities I sought out was finding a Men's Bible Study / Prayer Group. Why was this so important to me? For several reasons. First of all, to find a group of men that I could pray with, and study His Word. Also, to find a group of men that I could hold myself accountable to. Fortunately, it didn't take long for me to find this group. On Wednesday mornings, there is a group started up by Barry Hines, one of the staff members of Cypress, and it meets at a restaurant not far from my home. So far, I've attended once, and it was mainly a time of making connections for me. Being faithful and attending these meetings regularly will allow myself to open up, to trust, and to be honest with others as well as myself.

For the past six months, I have been involved with helping another person in need. Most of you are already aware of this story. But by helping this person, I have found myself drained spiritually and emotionally more often than not. God is better than any gas station out there, because He can refuel us for free! How does God refuel us, you ask? In several ways. We get refueled by reading Scripture. We get refueled by praying. But we also get refueled by receiving encouragement by those that we are close to. The third can be a bit tricky, though. What happens if we put gas in a diesel engine? Obviously, it's damaging. Receiving the wrong type of encouragement by those who are not walking with God can result in some damage as well. Therefore, it's important to find a group of Christian, Godly friends who will be there for you, pray for and with you, and to hold you accountable.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." ... Proverbs 27:17

If you are a Christian, I strongly encourage you to find a small group of people that you can connect with. A group that you can fellowship with, pray with, study the Word together with. Maybe it is a Sunday School class group. Maybe it's a group of Christians that you know from school, the gym, or elsewhere. If you don't know of any groups, call your church and ask them! If you still can't find any, start one of your own!

God did not put us on this Earth to walk alone. He wants us to be there for one another.

"There was a man all alone; he had neither son nor brother. There was no end to his toil, yet his eyes were not content with his wealth. “For whom am I toiling,” he asked, “and why am I depriving myself of enjoyment?” This too is meaningless — a miserable business! Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up. Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken." ... Ecclesiastes 4:8-12

No comments:

Post a Comment