Saturday, April 20, 2013

Maurice Clarett



Tonight, I had the privilege and honor of seeing and hearing Maurice Clarett share his personal testimony at Cypress Wesleyan Church in Galloway, Ohio.  It was a Saturday night service, and was standing room only.  According to Pastor Ken Murphy, this was the first time he has ever seen people lined up an hour and a half before a service with the exception of Christmas Eve Services.  I haven't heard the official tally yet, but there must have been at least 2,000 people in attendance!  Don't get me wrong ... numbers are not the important thing here.  What WAS important, though, is that there was that large of a number of people to hear God speak through Maurice tonight!

We have all gone through ups and downs in our lives.  Maurice was an All-American high school football player before becoming an instant legend at The Ohio State University, and was very instrumental on the 2002 National Championship Team!  But he didn't know Jesus.  His life quickly crumbled around him, and the next thing he knew, he was about to spend three and a  half years in prison.  It was there, where the warden had a special heart for him, and placed him in a cell where he knew he could be ministered to.  Long story short, Maurice has accepted Jesus as his personal Saviour, and is now leading a life that is centered around Christ.  For that, I shout, "Hallelujah!"

It was extremely evident and touching tonight to see just how open and honest Maurice was being.  He admits that life still isn't easy.  God never promised us "easy", but He did promise to make all things possible through Him!

"I no longer wanted to live the life of a hypocrite. I knew I was living in sin." ... (Maurice Clarett)


There were times of humor as well.  Pastor Ken said to Maurice, "You had a pretty good first year (with the Buckeyes.)  Maurice's reply:  "Yeah, it was alright!"

I had the opportunity after the service to spend about five minutes with Maurice and express my heartfelt appreciation to him.  We spoke about a couple of topics, but had to close it out pretty quick due to long lines of people waiting to get their pictures with him.

Maurice Clarett, on behalf of everyone in attendance tonight, and on behalf of Christians worldwide, and I'm sure on behalf of angels in Heaven above, please know that we are all rejoicing at how God is working through you! 

Update:  (4/21/13, 5:00 pm)
This past week, I asked Jeremy several times if he wanted to go to church to hear Maurice Clarett speak.  His answer each time was no.  While I was at church Saturday night, I had Maurice autograph an old Sports Illustrated, and personalized it to Jeremy.  When I brought it home and gave it to him, he was ecstatic!  He then begged me to drive him to church this morning (Sunday).  We had to wake up extremely early (7 AM is extremely early for us!)  We were at church by 7:45.  Wanted to get there super early, since last night's service was super packed ... wanted to be sure we could get a good seat!

Once again, I was truly blessed this morning.  But so was Jeremy!  Jeremy thought Maurice's testimony was "cool."  But surprisingly, he was even MORE impressed with a different part of the service.  Worship music!  I looked over at him when the worship team was performing the song, "I Am Redeemed."  He had a tear in his eye!  Immediately, he leaned over towards me and whispered, "I gotta get that song!"



   

No comments:

Post a Comment